Frequently Asked Questions

Is this only for people who want to go back to school and get a degree?

No. Age-friendly NYC College Link has something for everyone, whether it's learning for pleasure, or deveoping practical  life skills  (i.e., money management and retirement planning), or gaining job skills and training, or simply taking advantage of events and resources available to the public at many school campuses.

What is the definition of an "older adult"?

There is no single defintion. Discounts and special programa for "older adults" may start at age 50, 60, 62, or 65, depending on the school. Wherever possible, we have included the definition of 'older adult' in school profiles.

What is Continuing Education?

Continuing Education programs offer non-credit courses, and some may offer certificate programs and
for-credit courses that can be applied to degree programs in the future. But they do not grant degrees.

I want to learn how to use a computer or improve my computer skills. How can I find classes?

Many schools offer personal computer classes, gaming, and web design through their Continuing Education programs. Select "Computers/Technology" on the main page and click on “Click here whenyou are finished.”

On the results page, select “personal computing” from the list of subjects and clickon ‘submit.’  All the schools offering personal computing classes will be shown. Visit the websites of individual schools to find out more about specific courses offered in basic computing, web design, using MS Office, and other practical courses.

I want to get professional training in computer technology.

Professional training in computer technology may be offered through Continuing Education or Degree programs. Select the category “Technology/Business” on the main page, and click on “Click here when you are finished.” When the results appear, you can view individual schools or refine your search by selecting computer-specific courses from the listing of subjects. For specific information about course offerings, always visit the school website.

How can I find English as a Second Language classes?

ESOL classes are listed under both Personal Growth and Job Skills/Training.  Just select one of those
categories on the main page and click on “Click here when you are finished.” Then, on the results page,
refine your search by selecting "ESOL" from the list of subjects and click on “Submit.”  All the schools that
offer ESOL classes will be shown.

How can I find out what schools offer Spanish or other foregn languages?

Select “Liberal Arts” from the main page and click on “Click here when you are finished.” Then refine your search by selecting “foreign languages” from the listing of subjects on the right-hand side. The results page will include all schools that offer foreign languages. Visit the websites of each school to find out which languages are offered.

Why do you have a category for Campus Access/Events?

If you don’t take a course, you can still enjoy campus resources, including art galleries and lecture series
open to the public (many of which are free or discounted for seniors), libraries or fitness centers. Visiit
Columbia University for their free stargazing classes or Pratt Institute to walk through their sculpture
garden. Or just enjoy a cup of coffee at a campus café.

What is Distance Learning?

Distance learning is the term used for courses that are delivered online. You can take online courses
from your home, often on your own schedule. Some schools offer inexpensive online classes for
personal development (like personal computing or money management), while others offer a broad
range of academic and professional programs. This database provides information and links to online
courses at NYC-area colleges and universities, and also a few online sites that offer free college-level
courses. You can take a course from a Harvard or MIT professor from the comfort of your home or from
a library, or anywhere as long as you have internet access.

Can I get a free college education?

If you want a college-level education, but don’t need a degree, the answer is yes. Most CUNY schools
allow New Yorkers 60 years and older to audit as many undergraduate courses as they want, tuition-
free. (You do have to pay $80 each semester for administrative fees, plus cover the costs of any books
and materials.) We have also included several online schools (not based in NYC) that offer free college-
level courses, including Open Courseware Consortium, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Open